
Today we learned how to unicycle, juggle, and use the Chinese yo-yo called diablo. Unicycling was an interesting experience because I am used to riding a bike but not one where balance is difficult and necessary in order to ride it. However, I was surprised that on the first day I could do the skills that were included in the intermediate level of unicylcling. I also didn't get many opportunities to practice so I am optimistic that if I practice more, I might be able to ride it without spotters.
Juggling, on the other hand, was extremly difficult for me because I have only attempted it one other time in my live very briefly. I could juggle scarves in five patterns but not any of the other objects. However, I practiced over the weekend for hours and now I can finally juggle for 20 seconds with objects other than scarves. I still need to be able to juggle 3 patterns for 20 seconds in order to be skilled at the advanced level.
Diablo is the harderst of the circus arts thus far. I wasn't able to successfully do any tricks the first day but after practicing today and with the help of an expert, I can now do two tricks! I went from not liking it to really enjoying it and I think it looks really cool when someone can do many tricks.
I will definatley use circus arts in my P.E. class because they are fun and they improve hand-eye coordination as well as introduce students to many kinds of lifelong activities.
No comments:
Post a Comment